This is an excellent dive weekend for newly certified divers at the “Western Islands” in southern Georgian Bay. You will find very interesting shipwrecks, warm water, shallow diving (25-40 ft.), with up to 6 dives on the weekend to practice your scuba diving skills and buoyancy. You will gain experience and comfort under water, and add to your number of dives to allow you to participate in more challenging dives later. Our dive location is in beautiful southern Georgian Bay, not too far a drive from Toronto (approx. 2 hours), and includes great wrecks such as the Maple Dawn and the Lottie Wolfe which are very interesting for experienced divers too!
Date: July 22-23, 2023
Time: Arrive in the Penetanguishene area early early early on Saturday morning to be ready for an early start at Cedar Point. Allow contingency time for your drive in the early morning of a summer weekend. A Saturday morning arrival avoids the expense of one night’s accommodation. (Or, come up Friday evening if you prefer!)
- Arrival Time: Divers are asked to be at the dock at 7:30 am on Saturday and Sunday mornings for check-in, loading and orientation.
- Leaving the Dock: Our boat departs at 8:00 am. Be early because the boat leaves promptly. It takes time to unload your car, load gear on the boat, get your car parked, and hear the briefing.
- The boat returns at approximately 4:00-5:00 pm.
Location: Cedar Point and the Western Islands, in southern Georgian Bay
Cedar Point Dock is located at:
- Dock Lane, Cedar Point, ON L9M 1R3
- Here’s the map
Dive Boat: Georgian Ranger
Divemaster: Martin Bonert, NAUI Instructor 33907
Number of Divers: 8
- Recreactional dives for certified divers who are members of Blue North Scuba. Join now — we are open to all certified, vaccinated divers.
- Some of the shipwrecks include the following:
- Many of the shipwrecks are in the 10m / 30’ depth range, with only one or two in the 20m / 60’ depth range.
- Shallower dives tend to be warmer, so for thermal protection, all you need is a wetsuit with hood, boots, and gloves. You do not need to bring or rent a drysuit.
- The dives are suitable for a range of experience in diving, and are ideal for getting back underwater again.
- There will be up to 6 dives for the weekend.
- Coffee, Timbits and fresh fruit will be available when you arrive on board.
- Soft drinks and water will be available throughout day.
- A hot lunch is provided.
- $295 per diver for the 2-day weenend. Our Club will have the dive boat for the entire day, both days, with the opportunity for up to 6 dives (including a hot lunch both days!)
- Payment is by eTransfer to email@example.com
- Deadline for payment: May 12, 2023. Space is limited. Pay early to avoid disappointment.
- Please register now to let us know you are interested in this dive
Requirements to participate in the dive
- Pay your Dive Boat Fees – $295 by eTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 12, 2023
- If you are not yet a member of Blue North Scuba Club:
- Fill in the annual Membership Application form
- Pay your annual $40 Blue North membership dues. Payable by eTransfer to: email@example.com
- Provide your 2023 OUC membership number. (Note: We can arrange a $40 OUC membership for you if you don’t already have it through HHUC.)
- Fill in the annual OUC Communicable Disease Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Agreement after you have received your OUC number for this year, and at least two weeks before diving.
- Bring your vaccination receipt to show you are fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Get it online if you don’t have it.
- Before leaving home, assess your personal health situation by following the recommendations on the Covid-19 Self-Screening Questionnaire. Stay home if you feel unwell or have symptoms of Covid-19.
Bring all your own scuba gear – including TWO TANKS
- Sample list of dive shops in the Toronto area who rent gear
- HHUC members only can rent scuba gear for the summer from HHUC
- Sample list of scuba gear to bring on the dive trip
Air fills will be available at Neptune’s Locker Dive Shop after the Saturday dive. It closes at 5:00 pm, so get there early to get your tanks filled for the Sunday dives. It’s located a 20 minute drive from Cedar Point in the village of Tiny, Ontario, at 1390 Champlain Road, Tiny, Ontario L9M 0C1
Or, bring 4 tanks from Toronto.
Please arrange your own transportation. We will try to assist to connect you with other divers for carpooling.
Please arrange your own accommodation. There are hotels, lodges, cottages and campgrounds available in the area. Search the internet to find the one that best suits you. Your divemaster may be able to provide a recommendation.
Camping: Try Awenda Provincial Park — but please note that you must book early in the winter or spring before it is completely booked up for July.
Hotel: Neptune’s Locker Dive Shop recommends something in Midland which is a 20 minute drive from the dive shop and a 1/2 hour drive from the Cedar Point dock. For example, Super 8 hotel at 1144 Hugel Ave, Midland, ON L4R 0B1. Don’t leave your reservation to the last minute. Summer weekends are popular.
Club dive policies
Questions or Comments?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org .